Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Life on the Farm

Farm living has always been an adventure ever since we moved to the farm, so I do not know why my expectations should ever change in that respect. It always seems that it takes Shawn being out of town to have the adventures occur. I cannot determine if that is an unfortunate or fortunate situation--depends on who's perspective you are looking from. On the farm, I have learned to live among critters, and I am okay with that. It is not unusual for me to see a deer crossing the field outside the back yard, a raccoon on the roof of our underground shelter, a baby opossum in the dog food sack, a skunk peaking in my patio window. If they won't bother me, I won't bother them. With Shawn gone I have had to adjust to several things. I am less afraid of spiders than I used to be. Changing light bulbs and taking out the trash are no big deal. Switching out batteries in the kids' vehicles is a piece of cake. I'm a pretty self-sufficient girl and admit that I have a problem asking for help. However, when a mouse ran across my stove this weekend, I suddenly found an adjustment that I just do not think I can make. I've never been very good at killing things and setting traps is just not up my alley--I have delicate fingers, you know...have to be careful. So, even if I set traps, I'd just have a bunch of mice in traps laying around. Live traps and sticky paper pose the same problem. So, I'll learn to ask for help on this one!

1 comment:

  1. I do not think I would be much help either but I am here for support!! I am a big baby when it comes to mice!

    ReplyDelete